Sunday 14 February 2016

Purdah Progress


Technically, I only had a 3 day week in my workshop since I had a Quilt DIY lady one day and the kids started their mid-term break, which is always an excuse not to be busy. I was interviewed for an article in “Pretty Patches” magazine which should hopefully promote my Ebook, Deviant Quilting and I spent a couple of hours thinking about some new patchwork classes for which I will need to make samples and write a blurb. I have been asked to teach a beginner how to make a Double Wedding Ring Quilt! There are different ways of tackling this so I will need to work out the most successful. I had a go using the Accuquilt Go DWR dies but I decided the pieces were too small for a novice so I put them and some other redundant dies up for sale on Ebay. I have SO much stuff that I could put on Ebay/Gumtree/Facebook if I could spare the time;)


Not unexpectedly, Bloody Mabel, who had become geriatric and was gradually fading, just  went to sleep and didn’t wake up. Freya and I miss her more than we thought - she had an an unpredictable character, typical of a terrier, never to be trusted near poultry and eager to pick a fight if another dog looked at her askance. We took her in temporarily around 10 years ago and the dogs’ home estimated that she might be 3 years old so she had a reasonable innings, despite flying off a cliff at St Cyrus beach a few days after she arrived! Welly does not seem to miss his companion - he is still a doo-lally spaniel, aged 12 and I have resorted to keeping him on the lead since he likes to chase anything with wings for hours/miles, and across raging rivers, deliberately ignoring my shouts, whistles and treats. 



I sewed a facing onto Purdah 3 and a conventional black binding onto Purdah 2, hand-sewing the bindings onto the reverse. I am really pleased with the red and black quilt but despite adding 3 coats of pink Jacquard lumiere to Purdah 3’s hexagons in an attempt to get a depth of colour, it still does not seem finished. There are a few hot-fix crystals but I have a sneaking suspicion that it needs yet more bling. This may involve glitter, beads and trim of some glitzy description. People won’t actually see much of it hidden behind all of the layers but what glimpse they do get has to be absolutely glittering! I think I will just have to have a quick trawl online to see what trash I can find to add to the beads I already have…

No comments:

Post a Comment