Sunday 9 April 2017

Longarm Quilting in Coburg


Thanks to Regina's detailed instructions, my journey from Frankfurt airport to Wurzburg by train was very smooth. We had a quick look around Coburg and ate a delicious traditional bratwurst with mustard. Her studio is super! I had three Q24 long arms and a sit down Q20 for my pupils. Regina's lovely daughter, Laura did a marvellous job of the catering and taking official photos for her website. 


The ladies were enthusiastic and determined to quilt all day to try and finish their projects. Like a typical primary school teacher, I planned more work just in case somebody was a fast finisher so they could pick up any of the three projects over two days. They concentrated on quilting the fake leather which would made into a large tote bag. I did not tell my pupils that I had chosen fake leather deliberately so they would not be tempted to unpick any stitching they did not like. The idea was to experiment with rulers and free-flowing quilt designs. Two days of concentrated quilting  is such a luxury for students as nothing beats uninterrupted practising!


Despite my attempts to learn a little German, my limited vocabulary was of no practical use. Regina did a great job of translating and there was a lot of bizarre sign language. I normally chatter all day in English so it was unusual for me not to have so much to say. Luckily, they seemed to get it and were keen to try as many motifs as they could. We enjoyed an evening meal at a Gasthaus with locally brewed beer and Bavarian potato dumplings, served by waitresses in traditional dirndl dresses.


The other textile tutor, Dijanne Cheval, from Australia, drove up from the south of France to join us on Saturday evening. Regina had kindly arranged for us to have a day of sightseeing on Sunday so we visited an impressive schloss, Veste Coburg which commands a impregnable elevation on Festungsberg hill. The views overlooking Coburg were spectacular on a glorious spring day with clear blue skies. There was an extensive collection by Renaissance artist, Lucas Cranach, and displays about Martin Luther as 2017 is the 500th anniversary of The Reformation. I was fascinated by the intricate wood carvings and inlaid panelling. I am sure I could get plenty of ideas for quilts from that;)


We enjoyed an alfresco lunch people-watching at Golden Kreuz in Coburg then a wonderfully lazy afternoon on the verandah at Regina's house soaking up the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment